Base Companies specializes in projects that are highly complex and often at-risk. Dedicated, down-to-earth, and driven to get things done, our leaders bring deep levels of experience and talent to work.
Paul Belschner, CPA, MBA, President and CEO
A veteran property development and construction management professional, Paul has more than two decades of relevant and valuable experience in finance and business administration within development. Before launching Base Companies, he previously served as the president and CFO of Smet Construction and was instrumental in planning all phases of The Rail Yard Innovation District.
Paul started his path to property development as an auditor and tax preparation specialist in the public accounting field. There he gained tremendous knowledge of the development and construction industry, as well as the business strategies implemented within those respective industries.
Paul holds a bachelor’s degree in accounting from the University of Wisconsin – Green Bay, and a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Wisconsin – Oshkosh.
• Past Member, Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA)
• Past Member, Financial Executives International (FEI)
• Member, NFL Alumni Association—Green Bay Chapter
• Member, Meyer Theatre Corp.—Capital Campaign Committee
• Active participant, Chamber of Commerce—CFO Roundtables
• Co-founder, treasurer, CASE (Confidentially, Advising, Supporting, and Encouraging local business) Business Group
• National Conference Presenter and past member, Jack Miller Network, Promoting Redevelopment and Enhancing Municipal Relationships
• Board Member—Greater Green Bay Chamber
• Board Member (Chairman) —Advance-Economic Development Division of The Greater Green Bay Chamber
• Board Member—T2 Accelerator
• Board Member—Numerous Commercial Real Estate Condominiums
• Board Member—Boys and Girls Club of Green Bay
• Past President, Optimist Club of West Green Bay
• Past Board Member—Broadway BID-Business Improvement District Taxing Authority
Karen Klevesahl, Vice President, Administration and Operations
Karen brings extensive knowledge and experience in property development and commercial construction—experience that began in 2002. Add to this more than 20 years of office management experience, and you have one exceptionally organized and efficient professional.
Prior to the launch of Base Companies, Karen was the Executive Assistant for a commercial construction management firm. As a partner in Base Companies, she actively contributes to ongoing development and facilities management. Additionally, Karen organizes all project milestone events, from groundbreakings to ribbon-cuttings.
• Member of the Society for Human Resource Management
• Member, NFL Alumni Association, Green Bay Chapter
• Active with the Green Bay Boys & Girls Club
Joash Smits, Director of Development
A well-respected construction and development professional, Joash has been intimately involved in the planning and execution of several major and multi-year, multi-phase projects.
Joash began his construction career in 1994, received his Journeyman Carpenter Apprenticeship in 2001, and most notably executed the substantial shipyard 5 year expansion project for Marinette Marine Corporation. Prior to Base Companies Joash was with a local construction management firm for 20 plus years, recently as Senior Project Manager.
Joash works hand-in-hand with project owners, acting as their representative to help ensure vision comes to fruition, on time and on budget. Some past and current projects include: